UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Chjoice Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Consumer Credit Counseling Date: 1/30/2001 5:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
Having chosen the system of paying off debt rather than file bankruptcy (At one time a board member of a credit union), I'm angry that the 'system' penalizes people who choose this route. Divorce caused the problem. I faithfully paid till all balances were zero. I cut up and did without a credit card for years to achieve this. And I learned spending discipline. However, I could not rent a car or travel. And, once all was paid, I still had 'bad credit'. I was told by a mortgage lender that it was equivalent to having filed bankruptcy. It has taken me years to rebuild my credit. I don't regret the choice but regret not understand all the effects it would have over the long run.
SO, lessons learned:
Guard your credit with your life.
Don't sign up for every credit card that comes in the mail. Read the fine print on rates and charges.
Do you WANT it or do you REALLY NEED it? Chances are it's a want not a need.
Is it a marketing gimmic that will be in your garage sale next spring? Paying storage space for all those gimmics?
Find other ways than spending money to salve your brused ego/heart/depression.
NEVER CO-SIGN unless YOU intend to make the payments.
If married, have your own credit established seperate from your spouse.
10% to church? Why not 10% to savings (minimum)?
Budget. Pay cash for WANTS.
Gambling is ENTERTAINMENT. The probability of winning to pay off debt is zero.
Read Motley Fool, great advice!
And lastly, for those of you choosing bankruptcy, understand all of us are paying for your debt. Institutions may 'charge off' debt. That's a bottom line loss for the lending organization that raises costs and tightens the criteria with which money is lended for the rest of us. I'll thank you for being responsible for your own debt.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement