Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 70  
Subject: Contact with four today Date: 12/7/2011 10:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Updating now, Wednesday night.

I think there must be a full moon, but I am calming down from being irritated, furious, stressed out from the four hours though earlier I was fabulous. I'm just at that spot in my stress level. And I am still up online when lately I have been successful usually going to bed early most nights, but still up because of the agitation.

Briefly the Boy returned returned abruptly on Tuesday evening, but left after a few hours. Then earlier tonight about four hours ago, my doorbell rang. I thought it was The Boy again, but no. This time, it was The Daughter (as she identifies herself with me). In brief, she is one of the other kids who has stayed with me. She just needs to stay for a night because she is going to get readmitted to a short-term rehab tomorrow morning. A lot more to her story, and how irritating she was to me tonight, but she is reliable about leaving when she says she will.

The odd thing is that earlier today, I was pretty happy about something. Another kid who had stayed with me for a few months while he looked for an apartment (he gets full benefits including paid housing, if he looks for his own) just moved in today at noon to his new, first apartment. My current long-term kid (very stable and easy to get along with, the most amenable) had gone to help give him in general. I had talked to them by phone and was eager to give some assistance, tips, for his first place, including offering to go shopping with him tomorrow (Thursday) for groceries with his food stamps account. This kid is clueless about how to manage money and budget that he makes me look like a money maven in comparison.

You may wonder who, why and how about all these kids. The short answer is that I made friends with a few of the many homeless kids I've met in the past. This particular circle of kids are a demographic that pulled my heart strings, roughly described as children (though now young adults) who suffered severe childhood abuse issues and mental illness problems (all have at least anxiety problems, most have depression or bipolar disorder, but several also have significant personality disorders). A couple of them are friends of the aforementioned demographic, but still struggling with additional, or overlapping problems (including drug addiction, alcoholism, HIV+, violence, incarceration).

And you would think in a big city like the big apple, there would be a million resources and millions of dollars (even during peak economic times), but there aren't. I know because I've contacted them, or learned as much as I can. What limited services that are available typically have a waiting list, or refer only to jail or hospitals. I refer them constantly to various resources, but they typically have a severe mistrust of government and other resources (a notable exception is The Daughter who is with me tonight).

I know I should say "no" for my own stability and mental health, but for these kids, they have typically ended up in jail, or a hospital if they don't have anywhere to go. I am lucky so far none have died, but it is an issue I fear I'll have to deal with eventually. I have said fiercely and sharply "no" to a few, the ones I consider to be sadly so severely psychotic, out-of-control, or dangerously easy to mentally trigger to be in the same space (though two of three actually stayed here briefly, but that was how I realized how disturbed they were).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement