UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: flyer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 43  
Subject: Contemplating Refractive Surgery Date: 2/4/2000 1:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hello all--

After years of wearing glasses for myopia, I am pretty much decided that I want to take advantage of some amazing technologies that have recently come to market.

A little over a year ago my wife took the plunge and underwent the LASIK procedure (Laser Assisted in situ Keratotomy), after her father had been succesfully treated with the procedure. Her vision was WAY worse than mine; she couldn't get out of bed without putting her coke-bottle specs on. To make a long story short, she today has 20/20 vision with no adverse effects; this has truly been a huge change in her life.

So now it's my turn, & I have doing my "due diligence" by researching not only LASIK and its practitioners, but another neat treatment that won FDA approval just last year : INTACS are small ring segments of a plastic material that are inserted around the cornea and essentially flatten the shape of the cornea to remove the distortion. The results published so far indicate that, for people with less than -3.00 D of correction & less than -1.0 D of astigmatism, it may produce results even better than LASIK. Other benefits are that no tissue is removed in the visual axis, and they are removable. So if the outcome is not as desired, they can be changed or removed altogether, then one could have the LASIK or other treatment ( or just revert to their former uncorrected state).

ANYWAY, I am still in research mode. I'll have an initial evaluation next week, & hope that I'll be able to make a decision one way or the other -- not "whether", but "which".

I will post my experiences as they develop, and hope they will benefit anyone who is thinking of taking the plunge. If anyone else has their own ideas or questions or opinions, lets hear 'em.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement