UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rkcbwolf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/13/2001 1:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi!

The downturn in the market has caused the company I work for to completely "suspend" matching our 401(k) contributions. I have a rollover IRA that I set up when I switched jobs, so I am thinking that I would be better off taking my current 401(k) contributions and putting them into this IRA. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think that my tax benefits/implications should be the same either way, right?

Thanks in advance!

RKCBWolf
Trying to be Foolish...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32492 of 76418
Subject: Re: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/13/2001 1:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
....taking my current 401(k) contributions and putting them into this IRA. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

You have to leave your job inorder to get your current contributions.

The Dreamer.

Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32493 of 76418
Subject: Re: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/13/2001 1:41 PM
taking my current 401(k) contributions and putting them into this IRA

Do you mean suspend current payments and contribute to an IRA Instead? It would be the same tax benefit only if your AGI limits were less than allowed for a tax deductible IRA. See publication 590 for the limits. Contributing to a 401K for any part of the year makes you part of a pension plan for the whole year and subject to those limts.

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32494 of 76418
Subject: Re: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/13/2001 1:41 PM
I'm confused. Does the original poster mean past contributions, or future ones?

Thanks!
Joe

Author: rkcbwolf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32497 of 76418
Subject: Re: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/13/2001 2:09 PM
Do you mean suspend current payments and contribute to an IRA Instead?

Yes, what I was meaning to say is that I want to take my current bi-weekly contribution and invest it in my IRA instead of my 401(k).

Also, this would only be until the matching contributions are reinstated

Thanks!

RKCBWolf

Author: rkcbwolf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32498 of 76418
Subject: Re: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/13/2001 2:11 PM
I was meaning future contributions. Sorry for the confusion.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32506 of 76418
Subject: Re: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/13/2001 6:52 PM
I think that my tax benefits/implications should be the same either way, right?

The biggest difference is that you can only contribute $2k to an IRA this year. (Next year is $3k IIRC.) The max for a 401k is $11k. If you're putting more than $2k into the 401k, you won't be able to put as much as you were contributing into the IRA.

--Peter

Author: fling Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32584 of 76418
Subject: Re: Continue 401(k) contributions? Date: 11/19/2001 3:25 PM
>>thinking that I would be better off taking my current 401(k) contributions and putting them into this IRA. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think that my tax benefits/implications should be the same either way, right?<<

Assuming you are a long way from retirement, then if you are eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA, best to open one and max that out before anything else.

And assuming your 401k funds don't royally suck (high expense ratios, loads, or underperforming), ideally, you want to max *both* your IRA (preferably Roth) *and* your 401k, regardless of whether the company matches. It may still be worth it even if your 401k funds do suck. For example, it may reduce your modified AGI enough to allow you to contribute/rollover to a Roth. Also, if you don't expect to work there too long, remember, you can rollover to an IRA when you change jobs -- even a Roth IRA if you are willing to pay taxes now on the balance (which is again generally worth it if you are a ways from retirement).

Also, the tax deduction for a traditional IRA phases out depending on your income, whereas your 401k contribution does not. Beyond that, the difference is you have more investment choices in the IRA than the 401k.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement