Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a help dek analyst and looking to start taking classes toward technical certifications(MCSE, CNE, etc.). Am I better off writing the tuition expenses off on taxes or taking a tuition reimbursement from my employer? Do tuition reimbursments get taxed?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am a help dek analyst and looking to start taking classes toward technical certifications(MCSE, CNE, etc.). Am I better off writing the tuition expenses off on taxes or taking a tuition reimbursement from my employer? Do tuition reimbursments get taxed?

Regardless of the tax treatment, you're better off taking the reimbursement from your employer. If the reimbursement is taxable, you treat it the same as if you took the money out of savings for purposes of education deductions or credits. If the reimbursement isn't taxable, you're even better off, since the tax benefit is never going to be 100% of the amount you spent.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

These are job related and would be tax deductible on your tax return, but they would be subject to the 2% of AGI limitation so you don't get the full deduction. Also, you'd be paying for it. having your employer pay for it doesn't cost you anything and he gets the full deduction.
See IRS Publication 17. It has a lot of information on filing personal returns.
Does the AGI limitation mean that I can't deduct more thatn 2% of my AGI for education?
I means that only the amounts above 2% of AGI are deductible. That's why you get the company to pay for it.
Advertisement