UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: VikingErik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1874  
Subject: Re: Vanguard Admiral share conversions Date: 2/18/2011 1:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Continuing my own thread - I tried to handle it with the process described here.

http://thedailyreviewer.com/windowsapps/view/vanguard-mutual...

Basically, you enter a share split to represent the change in share count and price, then you change the ticker symbol for the investment. So the history stays intact as one continuous investment and the performance reporting is accurate. Money going forward will use the changed ticker symbol for new price updates, leaving the old historical prices intact. This worked. At first.

But where it fell down is the next time a Vanguard download is imported. Vanguard sends position and balance info for both the old share class (a zeroed position, 0 shares) and new, with the separate ticker symbols. Money can't handle two different balances for the same investment in the same account. I even got poor Money stuck bouncing back and forth in an endless loop of dialog boxes, one asking for confirmation to consolidate Admiral and Investor shares as the same investment, and then another reestablishing Investor as a separate investment.

The frustrating part is that Money is actually pretty close to being able to handle it. What this changeover really wants to be is a merger. That would accurately reflect "I received Y shares of investment B from X shares of this original investment A" but keep the performance genealogy line. But Money is just a bit too smart for its own good - it will not let you do a merger on a mutual fund, only on an individual stock.

So yeah, I guess the only answer is to represent it as separate transactions for selling Investor shares and buying Admiral shares, thus losing the ability to properly report performance for any interval that crosses over 12/2010.

Anyone got suggestions for a more modern personal finance manager that can handle this?

- Erik
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement