No. of Recommendations: 0
I have was given some stocks as a gift that have a very low cost and I will have to pay plenty of capital gains when I sell them. Can I move the stock into my IRA instead of cash and then sell them within my IRA to avoid the capital gains tax?
Sounds like a great deal if possible, but couldn't seem to find an answer to that question elsewhere.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.