Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I own shares of a stock which have appreciated. If I contribute these to my Roth as shares, how are they valued for the contribution? Provided I can transfer in kind, I think they would be valued at the basis level. Then when the stock is later sold within the Roth, the gains will be protected from taxation. Is this true or would the stock be valued at current value?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.