UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: heffx5 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Contributing to a rollover IRA Date: 5/23/2000 2:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Back in 1994, I opened an IRA to rollover a previous employer's pension plan. I have since been contributing $2000 a year to the same IRA account. I now understand that I may have created an income tax nightmare for myself. What should I do now?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22142 of 76418
Subject: Re: Contributing to a rollover IRA Date: 5/23/2000 3:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Probably continue contributing.
There is some extra paperwork if you have mixed deductible with non-deductible contributions. Your rollover must have been deductible; your subsequent contributions may not have been.
So every year with your tax return you should have been filing a form as to how much was contributed, and how much of that was deductible. Thus you have a BASIS in your IRA--an accounting as to how much of the money was after-tax and therefore not subject to tax when you take it out.
By mixing contributed money with rollover money, you lost the right to rollover to a subsequent employer's 401k or 403b plan. However, you likely can do better yourself anyway, so that is no great loss.
If you have already mixed deductible with non-deductible contributions, there is no MORE extra paperwork if you continue as you have been.
Best wishes, Chris

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement