Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a 40 year old UK person confused about USA retirement!

In the UK the limits for ROTHs (called PEPs are ~ $15K each per year) and you can put a further 20% of your income into a tax deferred PPP (Personal Pension Plan) - IRA?. Although you may not have enough money left to be able to eat if you made all of these tax break contributions!

What options do I have to save for a retirement in the USA? My employer offers a DCP (which is not protected and is taxed as salary if I leave them) - they do not offer a 401K because I am outside of the salary limits for the 401K program.

I am putting $2K a year in each of my and my spouses Roth IRAs, but I would like to save more.

At the moment the remainder of my savings are being put into a regular brokage account for the taxman to get fat on.

Am I really limited to saving $4K a year with tax breaks?

I wonder if I could contribute to a UK pension even though I live in the USA? I do get a small income from a holiday home the UK, albeit a small amount.

Help!!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement