Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: euphoriant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Contributions Date: 10/3/2000 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What can I request from a non-profit so I can verify that if I contribute to their company my money will be well spent?

Thanks,
e
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40579 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/4/2000 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
What can I request from a non-profit so I can verify that if I contribute to their company my money will be well spent?

One thing the world will never lack is need. There may be enough organizations within your scope of personal knowledge to exhaust your contribution allowance. I think personal knowledge of their works is the best first source.

All 501(c)(3)'s are required to file an annual report (Form 990) with the IRS and are also required to make copies available on request. If you're investigating an organization, get a copy of its most recent 990. Look to see how their receipts are spent. The three biggies are administration, fundraising, and program delivery. If you see most of the money going to the first two, take yours elsewhere.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40584 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/4/2000 1:41 PM
E:

Non-profits have to supply any contributors with their annual reports, and if they are a Federal non-profit versus a state non-profit you can gain access/request to their Form 990 (tax returns).

Jenn

Author: 3blackdogs Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40594 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/4/2000 8:19 PM
There are a couple of charitable watchdog organizations. I have not used this web site but heard about it on a nationally syndicated consumer radio show - FWIW. Web site is www.give.org. Summary from the web site follows, as always do your own DD. This is not an endorsement, just interesting information:

NATIONAL CHARITIES INFORMATION BUREAU

NCIB's mission is to promote informed giving and to enable more contributors to make sound giving
decisions. NCIB believes that donors are entitled to
accurate information about the charitable organizations
that seek their support. NCIB also believes that
well-informed givers will ask questions and make
judgments that will lead to an improved level of
performance by charitable organizations. NCIB is a
501(c)(3) charitable organization, to which contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

I am excited to share with you news that will make your
NCIB membership an even more important and valuable
asset. In addition to the NCIB, you may be familiar with the other nationally recognized "charity watchdog": the Philanthropic Advisory Service (PAS), which is the primary program of the Council of Better Business Bureaus' Foundation. We are pleased to announce our intention to merge the National Charities Information Bureau and the Council of Better Business Bureaus' Foundation into a single organization. Merger
discussions are ongoing, and we anticipate our
governing boards' as well as the courts' final approval for the merger this fall.

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40600 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/5/2000 6:43 AM
Non-profits have to supply any contributors with their annual reports, and if they are a Federal non-profit versus a state non-profit you can gain access/request to their Form 990 (tax returns).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a state non-profit. Unless the organization meets the requirements of Federal tax law, contributions to it aren't deductible. Details are in IRS Publication 526.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: jkrou Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40607 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/5/2000 9:44 AM
Phil,

In some states you can be a non-profit status without being a 501(c) granted by the Feds. For instance, Texas is one such state. What that means is that they are considered a non-profit for state items such as Franchise Tax etc. but have to file regular tax returns for the federal level. I know that it sounds really confusing because we get confused ourselves at times.

Jenn

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40608 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/5/2000 10:39 AM
In some states you can be a non-profit status without being a 501(c) granted by the Feds.

Thanks for the explanation. As a reminder to lurkers, such organizations may be worthy of your support, but contributions to them are not deductible on your 1040, Schedule A.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: euphoriant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40696 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/8/2000 10:48 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

I asked them their tax status and they said they were a 501(c)(3). Then I asked them for a copy of their annual report and Form 990 and they said they were not allowed to give that out.

Then sent me some brochures in the mail, but nothing of substance.

This is really disappointing because I know this charity has helped out many people in our community, but it just doesn't sound right that they claim they are not allowed to give me the information all of you said I am entitled to.

e

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40706 of 121061
Subject: Re: Contributions Date: 10/9/2000 9:04 AM
This is really disappointing because I know this charity has helped out many people in our community, but it just doesn't sound right that they claim they are not allowed to give me the information all of you said I am entitled to.

If you really want to pursue giving to this charity, since you know of its good works, see if you can get in touch with someone on the board. It might just be that the person you talked to doesn't know what's going on and is too lazy to find out.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement