UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JGOwens Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71742  
Subject: Conventional Wisdom Date: 6/4/2002 5:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 95
"Don't you people see what's happening? Potter's not selling. Potter's buying".
Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey
It's a Wonderful Life"

Buy and hold is dead. If you're going to make money in this market, you have to trade.

BULL!

Tired of hearing it. Tired of worrying about it. The whole point in posting the "Death of Equities" article was simple - conventional wisdom, and a token, will get you on the subway. The whole world had given up on US equities and US companies and the US economy. The next 20+ years saw the greatest bull market in history. Was 1979 "too soon" to begin accumulating the shares of great companies? Of course not, unless your time frame was a year or two. And if your time frame were that short, you didn't belong in stocks.

Is technology dead? The internet? There must be no one left who needs high speed connectivity at home, or a home network. All the bandwidth that will ever be needed has already been laid in the ground. Everyone has a DVR, a flat panel monitor. No company will ever find a way to use software to increase productivity or gain strategic advantage again. If your time frame is tomorrow, all these things are true. If it's forever, they're ridiculous. The Warren Buffett's of the world know this, whether their circle of competence is tech or toilet paper. That's why they're rich and most people aren't.

A great many wonderful, promising companies are discussed here regularly, by a group of knowledgeable and generous investors. I thank you all for that. I refuse to go hide under a rock like some gold hoarding wimp. I'm buying! I bought last month, this month, and I'll buy next month. Conventional wisdom can kiss my @$$.

Rant de jour,
- Joe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement