UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CeltrisIII Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Conversion of Non-Deductible IRAs Date: 8/26/2000 3:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was wondering about the difficulties that have traditionally been associated with non-deductible IRAs. The accounting doesn't seem that hard to me. I was also wondering whether, if my income got low enought to allow for conversion, if I could convert my non-deductible IRA to a Roth, and if there would be any difficulties with that process. What do you all think?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24376 of 75383
Subject: Re: Conversion of Non-Deductible IRAs Date: 8/26/2000 7:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was wondering about the difficulties that have traditionally been associated with non-deductible IRAs. The accounting doesn't seem that hard to me. I was also wondering whether, if my income got low enought to allow for conversion, if I could convert my non-deductible IRA to a Roth, and if there would be any difficulties with that process.

If you can do basic arithmetic there's nothing to Part I of Form 8606, which is where you do everything associated with nondeductible contributions. I think people's problems have arisen because they didn't keep good records and they didn't report their nondeductible contributions as they went along.

It's a piece o' cake to convert. If you convert the whole thing, you subtract your previously-taxed basis from the amount converted and you have your taxable conversion income. (See Part II of Form 8606.) If you only convert part you do the same 8606 Part I calculation you would do if you were taking a regular distribution.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement