UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheOthermfa One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76238  
Subject: Conversion to Roth IRA Date: 11/29/1997 10:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As I understand it, deductible IRAs converted to Roths in 1998 _must_ (not "may") take a hit against income over four years and pay taxes accordingly. What I haven't seen in the various newspapers is information about whether you can transfer part of an existing IRA. For example, if I'm sitting on a $1M IRA (dream on...), can I in fact transfer $100K of it to a Roth, and will this result in an additional $25K in taxable income for 98,99,00,01?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658 of 76238
Subject: Re: Conversion to Roth IRA Date: 11/29/1997 12:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, TheOthermfa, and welcome.

<< For example, if I'm sitting on a $1M IRA (dream on...), can I in fact transfer $100K of it to a Roth, and will this result in an additional $25K in taxable income for 98,99,00,01?>>

That's correct in all aspects. You may roll part or all of existing IRAs to a Roth IRA starting in 1998. One-fourth of the amount rolled is declared as income in 1998 and each of the following three years.

Regards.....Pixy

Author: Lowell Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 660 of 76238
Subject: Re: Conversion to Roth IRA Date: 11/30/1997 7:42 AM
A feature article in the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) Journal, November 1977 issue may be of help to folks trying to determine if a move to a Roth IRA is prudent. Peter James Lingane's has written an article titled, "Should You Convert to a Roth IRA? It Depends on Your Circumstances".

Lowell

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement