No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm 35 and considering converting a rollover IRA I have (about $4300) to a Roth. I've been looking at the conversion criteria and from what I see I'm only eligable to convert if I file my taxes as married filing seperately. Can anyone confirm/clear this up for me? Here's the details:

I'm married but getting divorced next year. At the time I file my taxes I'll not have lived with my wife for the last year+. I make about $72K a year (joint income is $130K) a year. According to the rules I've read (what a messs!) the income limit on conversion if married is the same as if single, so I can't qualify. There seems to be a caveat that if you're married filing seperately and have not cohabitated for more than a year, then the single income limits apply (which I do meet). Have I misread the rules?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.