UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Babalu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75592  
Subject: Convert to Roth IRA Date: 3/22/1998 9:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Basic questions, I know; please forgive my ignorance.

I already have a deductible IRA established in a mutual fund, through a broker. It would definitely pay me to roll this over to a Roth IRA.

Question(s): Once I roll the mutual fund over into a Roth, can I then purchase other (Foolish) stocks to add to this retirement portfolio? If yes, how do I designate those new stock purchases as being part of the IRA? A person can't have more than one IRA (of any type), can they?

Would appreciate answers from those more Foolish than I. Thanks in advance. --Babalu
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2327 of 75592
Subject: Re: Convert to Roth IRA Date: 3/23/1998 8:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Babalu, and welcome.

<<I already have a deductible IRA established in a mutual fund, through a broker. It would definitely pay me to roll this over to a Roth IRA.

Question(s): Once I roll the mutual fund over into a Roth, can I then purchase other (Foolish) stocks to add to this retirement portfolio? If yes, how do I designate those new stock purchases as being part of the IRA? A person can't have more than one IRA (of any type), can they?>>

You may have as many IRA as you want. You just can't contribute more than $2K per year to any one or all of them combined.

When you convert your traditional IRA to a Roth, the money in that IRA is what's used to purchase stocks. If all you are transferring are securities during the rollover, then to purchase new stocks you must first sell some of those shares to get the cash to finance the new purchase. Most brokers, due to IRS recommendations discussed elsewhere in this folder, will not permit you to make a contribution to the Roth established by your rollover. You may, though, establish a separate account to receive new money and effect your purchases within that contributory Roth IRA.

Regards…..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement