Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Converted to Roth in 2000.

Recharacterized to Trad. on 2/1/01, return has not been filed yet.

If the custodian will go along (which is doubtful), can we "undo" the recharacterization so the year 2000 conversion stands and we don't have to take another MRD this year?

Especially if it happens before eom statements come out I don't see a practical problem. Is there an IRS/reporting type of problem? Doesn't the custodian wait until the end of the year to report?

What you're wanting to do cannot be done legally. If the custodian will go along with it, be aware that your funds have been entrusted to, at best, an ignorant custodian; at worst, to a crooked one.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.