Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just read part VI of Roy Lewis's Roth IRA article, and I have a question. I contributed $2000 to my Roth IRA in 1999, and have run into income limits. So, I recharacterized $1100 as a traditional IRA.

My question is, if my income in 2000 is below $100k, can I convert that $1100 (plus whatever gains I have) back to a Roth IRA. And, if so, how much is income for tax purposes? The total amount or the conversion, or the total amount less the $1100 (which I've already paid taxes on in 1999, since the recharacterized traditional IRA wasn't deductible for me).

Thanks for any clues on this.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.