UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rferdig Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: converting a SEP IRA into a Roth Date: 9/22/2000 3:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am thinking about converting my current SEP IRA account into a Roth. What should I consider prior to taking the plunge? I know taxes need to be paid on the money put into the SEP, but it is on current portfolio value (as of today) or the dollar amount I initially contributed? Any help would be appreciated. Or please tell me where I might find this information.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25001 of 76418
Subject: Re: converting a SEP IRA into a Roth Date: 9/22/2000 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Rferdig, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I am thinking about converting my current SEP IRA account into a Roth. What should I consider prior to taking the plunge? I know taxes need to be paid on the money put into the SEP, but it is on current portfolio value (as of today) or the dollar amount I initially contributed? Any help would be appreciated. Or please tell me where I might find this information.>>

The income taxes due would be based on the market value of the SEP on the day you converted it into the Roth. For an idea of what you should consider prior to taking that action, see my analysis of that issue on this board in message 1567 at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040013000441002&sort=postdate.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement