UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: photobyrob Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Converting Annuity to SEP Date: 7/21/2000 12:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I currently have a variable annuity with Northwestern Mutal Life Ins. The annuity was funded with 401(k) funds I needed to put somewhere after I left two previous jobs. I have not added any additional money to the account, which is currently invested 100% in the Index 500 (S&P 500 tracking fund)option of the NML program. The balance is currently around $10,000. I am self-employed, 35 yrs old, and I would like to start contributing to the account. But this means contributing after-tax dollars with no immediate tax benefits. My question is--Can I take that money from the annuity account and open a new SEP account somewhere else?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23536 of 75381
Subject: Re: Converting Annuity to SEP Date: 7/21/2000 2:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greeting, Photobyrob, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I currently have a variable annuity with Northwestern Mutal Life Ins. The annuity was funded with 401(k) funds I needed to put somewhere after I left two previous jobs. I have not added any additional money to the account, which is currently invested 100% in the Index 500 (S&P 500 tracking fund)option of the NML program. The balance is currently around $10,000. I am self-employed, 35 yrs old, and I would like to start contributing to the account. But this means contributing after-tax dollars with no immediate tax benefits. My question is--Can I take that money from the annuity account and open a new SEP account somewhere else?>>

Yes, after you have established your SEP=IRA, then you may have the annuity proceeds transferred to that IRA. Be aware that once you do that and make additional contributions to that IRA based on your self-employed income, then those proceeds will be forevermore ineligible for a subsequent transfer to a future employer's 401k plan. If you want to preserve that ability, then you should establish a separate IRA for the annuity proceeds or leave it alone entirely.

Regards..Pixy

Author: TTRoberts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23539 of 75381
Subject: Re: Converting Annuity to SEP Date: 7/21/2000 5:27 PM
photobyrob, you asked:

<< I currently have a variable annuity with Northwestern Mutal Life Ins. The annuity was funded with 401(k) funds I needed to put somewhere after I left two previous jobs. I have not added any additional money to the account, which is currently invested 100% in the Index 500 (S&P 500 tracking fund)option of the NML program. The balance is currently around $10,000. I am self-employed, 35 yrs old, and I would like to start contributing to the account. But this means contributing after-tax dollars with no immediate tax benefits. My question is--Can I take that money from the annuity account and open a new SEP account somewhere else? >>

1st - WHY . . . would you even want to do this?

2nd - There's NO benefit for you do do this.

3rd - Apparetnly this Variable Annuity is in an IRA as typically 401(k) funds are rolled into an IRA.

4th - If for some reason the annuity is NOT IN an IRA, then one can only move money out of the annuity per the rules of annuities and if you want o fund your SEP (a Simple SEP I take it), you can do so up to the limits of the SEP in any given year. (Note: With the new limits about to be approved by our governement, those limits will be ever increasing soon)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement