Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My mother has some old EE bonds earning minimum interest and wants a way transferring them to my son tax free and avoiding capital gain taxes. If she were to simply cash in the EE Bond she would have a $6000 gain.

A broker told her that she could convert the EE Bonds to HH Bonds and list my son as a co-owner of the bond under his SS number. He also said that after 6 months,
my son could cash in the bond free of any capital gain taxes. I'm aware of the 10K gifting strategy but this broker led my mom to believe that she could also avoid capital gains by this conversion/transfer. My mom asked
her attorney but he admittingly was clueless.

Does anyone know the whether this scheme is valid? Or can someone refer me to some on-line publication that might validate this scheme?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.