Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22011  
Subject: Cool shots of hot Hawaii Date: 12/7/2012 11:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mbvd/10-super-awesome-photos-of-hawa...

PF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20888 of 22011
Subject: Re: Cool shots of hot Hawaii Date: 12/7/2012 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Pele bites! We were out in the lava beds, heading towards an outfall, not allowed, but at least get closer.. I stopped at the last porta potty, then to catch up started running a bit... As I hadn't ran in a while, naturally I tripped.. BAD place to trip.. As I headed down, hands out, but my right knee tool most of it... Yikes.. Like landing on a sharp cheese grater! I got up trundled on, but the bleeding made me stoip, have a look, big area shredded, it's getting dark, and we're miles out... Rent car absorbed a bit, but we found a little clinic out there, they tool me in, scrubbed the crap out of my wounds, patched my up... Tried to pay them, the folks would not take a dime, check CC, nothing. They either didn't want to mess with paperwork, or whatever, but they were great. Joking about not taking any hawaiian lava, even imbedded home... So no snorkeling, and a bit still on the plane home to the mainland, but good memories from out there...

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20889 of 22011
Subject: Re: Cool shots of hot Hawaii Date: 12/7/2012 4:06 PM
Recommendations: 0
"BAD place to trip."

For people unfamiliar with it, this is how soft flowing lava becomes a rasp:

http://dotcomjoe.com/1207p1

~aj

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20890 of 22011
Subject: Re: Cool shots of hot Hawaii Date: 12/7/2012 4:27 PM
The path, well used, is just crushed lava, like little bits of black glass, and naturally it's warm, so shorts are the norm... took many years for the striped scars to fade... It is great out there, we've been back several times, just a bit more careful... What's fun if you can find it is video, images from the crazies willing to swim out there, show it as the flow extends out, even below sea levels, makes the island bigger!

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20891 of 22011
Subject: Re: Cool shots of hot Hawaii Date: 12/7/2012 5:43 PM
Great shot.

They're pouring lava in upstate NY.
http://www.earthmagazine.org/article/syracuse-university-lav...

PF

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20892 of 22011
Subject: Re: Cool shots of hot Hawaii Date: 12/7/2012 6:27 PM
When we did the floes several years ago there was no path. You drove to the end of the road (if they allowed it...sometimes sulfuric acid steam would blow in from the ocean where the lava was, and they would close the road), park, and start walking. It was 3 miles to the lava (they told us). Take off before sunset, get there at dusk, and then as it gets dark the show really gets good.

Then hike back 3 miles in the dark, no moon, no path, black lava, and just the flashlights we wisely brought. But the rangers did set up these flashing beacons and placed them every half mile (I think). Without those it was impossible to tell where anything was. Everything was black. You could step off into the ocean and not know it until you were falling. But just head from one beacon to the next, and you get back to the car.

Didn't exactly fall, but did end up with a few minor cuts and bruises on the lower legs from bumping sharp rocks.

I'd love to go back with my D700...

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20893 of 22011
Subject: Re: Cool shots of hot Hawaii Date: 12/7/2012 7:03 PM
My wife came back from the big island with a speck of embedded lava in her hand that she kept for several months.

We were both very careful a few years later when we were at the Great Obsidian Flow near Bend, OR. Falling there would have ended with a trip to the hospital if we were lucky enough not to bleed out.

If lava is like a cheese grater, obsidian is like broken coke bottles full of razor blades.

PF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement