Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55993  
Subject: Cornish hens Date: 10/27/2012 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Not sure why but over the last few weeks, I have found Perdue Cornish hens on sale at several of the supermarkets I shop at.

I cut out the keel, the backbone and the wing tips (and put them in the freezer for when I make stock). I also take off some of the ribs so that the two halves sit kind of flat (the ribs go into the "stock bag" as well).

Marinate them overnight with some minced garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce, spicy wooster sauce, balsamic vinegar, a splash of Chardonnay (surprise!) and lots of freshly ground pepper medley.

I cook them on my handy, dandy George Forman grill. Turn them after a few minutes so that they brown well on both sides.

Serve with some sort of rice (I make my own version of Rice-a-Roni) and whatever green veggie I have around. A delightful dish.

Can I say "yummy" and "ever-so-easy"?

Christina
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54662 of 55993
Subject: Re: Cornish hens Date: 10/27/2012 5:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
spicy wooster sauce

Haven't heard of this one. Dish sounds good.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54663 of 55993
Subject: Re: Cornish hens Date: 10/27/2012 6:15 PM
Recommendations: 0
Me: spicy wooster sauce
Phil: Haven't heard of this one.
-------------------------------------

It's actually D.L.Jardine's Spicy Wooster! Sauce which I think can only be found in Texas. It's worcestershire sauce with "a Special Texas Spice Blend" (whatever that is). Have to remember to buy some when I'm down in Texas Thanksgiving week.

Dish sounds good.

It is, believe me.

Christina

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54664 of 55993
Subject: Re: Cornish hens Date: 10/27/2012 6:52 PM
It's worcestershire sauce with "a Special Texas Spice Blend" (whatever that is).

Hate those local things. That reminds me, I need to get some more Squeal (a dry rub) the next time I go to Kansas.

Back to Wooster! Might W Sauce with some cajun spice blend be an approximation? Or are we talking more Tex-Mex (cumin, chili powder)? I imagine cayenne and garlic are a given.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54665 of 55993
Subject: Re: Cornish hens Date: 10/27/2012 7:01 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I used to cook these all the time, but haven't in ages.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54666 of 55993
Subject: Re: Cornish hens Date: 10/28/2012 1:11 AM
I like butterflying fowl. I like grilling them over charcoal with some pecan wood chips. Basting with some melted butter, lemon, basil, cracked black pepper, a little sea salt, and *maybe* a sprig of rosemary and a mashed and diced clove of garlic works pretty well, for me.

A close friend once told me, "You use too many spices - It tastes like chemicals."

FWIW

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54667 of 55993
Subject: Re: Cornish hens Date: 10/28/2012 11:23 AM
I prefer to roast them, stuffed with a dressing made of rice, nuts, and dried cranberries. I have no trouble finishing one entirely, but if there are leftovers, there is always cornish hen soup - just add carrots, celery, or whatever, and heat up in broth.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54668 of 55993
Subject: Re: Cornish hens Date: 10/28/2012 11:31 AM
I prefer to roast them, stuffed

I like a stuffed roasted hen also. But grilling them (at least on the George Forman grill) takes a lot less time. Also, in the summertime, no need to heat up the kitchen.

Christina

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement