UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: saunafool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947226  
Subject: Corporal Punishment in Schools Date: 10/10/2012 5:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Last week, I was in Germany with a colleague from Texas. I offhandedly mentioned that my wife told me to arrive home after our 3-year-old son was asleep. She didn't want him to get all excited right before bedtime.

My colleague asked me, "why not?" I said, "because he'll want to play with me and won't want to sleep." He said, dead seriously, "all you need to do is give him a spanking and he'll quit screwing around." I politely told him that I wouldn't be beating my child because he was happy to see me.

His justification, like everyone else who spanks their child, was "I got it, and I turned out OK." Well, I got it too, and I turned out OK too, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's barbaric.

Hell, I even got it in school. Back then, if you received corporal punishment in school, the last thing you'd do is tell your parents. They'd give you a second round at home. At least that is how it was in the 70's in my blue-collar Minnesota town.

Yet, I thought that was the past. Sweden made corporal punishment illegal in 1979. I have a lot of Swedish friends and their children are all very well behaved. I figured, if corporal punishment is not necessary to have well-behaved children, then it simply is not necessary. So, when we had our child, we decided we would never use corporal punishment.

Of course, corporal punishment isn't a thing of the past--all states allow corporal punishment at home within limits. More suprisingly, I found, is that 19 states still allow corporal punishment in schools.

Can you guess whether they are red states or blue state?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Corporal_punishment_in_the...

Seriously, Red States. It is time to enter the 21st century.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement