Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok, I'm probably waaaaay off here, but bear with me....

Say I form a real estate holding corporation, which would earn income from rents paid by the tenants and capital gains from sales of properties and stock investments. (Sounds great so far, right?)

I've been researching and learned that you can either set up the corporation as a flow-through entity, where the owner would declare the corporation's income as her own on her taxes, or set it up where the the corporation has its own tax return and the owner is taxed on income dispersed. (I've probably already messed this up! :)

My question is this: It seems that if it's set up as a flow-through, you're only taxed once on the capital gains/ income, whereas if the corporation does its own taxes, it pays on the capital gains and then I would also get taxed on the income that I dispersed to myself as owner. Is this right??

Also, as a flow-through entity, would I still be able to take all of the normal and reasonable tax deductions on the business expenses?

Any direction would be helpful and any links or book titles would be fantastic!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.