Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
No, I think it must be the results out from Bank of Ireland, where it was unsurprisingly intimated that it might now be reasonable to lower former expectations somewhat.

I am rather puzzled. Anglo, which I think has the greatest exposure to Irish property fell 3.5% today, Bank of Ireland 6.1% and our company 6.9%.

Did I miss something? (Please do not tell me I should not be watching the price day to day. I propose to watch it like a hawk.)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yes, I'd say it's the lowered guidance by Bank of Ireland that is causing the move today. Such a move is unwarranted for shares that are already so cheap, but this is an abnormal market, particularly for financial companies.

My view of the current market for financial companies is: sell first, asking questions and do analysis later. This is the baby with bath water scenario.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but I believe a great buying opportunity is only getting more attractive at these prices.

Best,

Nate
It is good to have that reassurance. Also good is that a director of Bank of Ireland promptly bought shares in that company after the results, and that the recent director purchase in our own company was O'Donnell, the CFO.

Against that are the frustrating facts of recent times that a) elsewhere, banks' directors have got it totally wrong and made insider purchases which proved they were totally unaware of the shambles on the books, b) the alarming propensity of banks in the last few months to say 'all's well' and then a month later 'it turns out we've got a small problem'.

Which is why I keep my eye on the share price, as with my other holdings, only in respect of downward movement relative to the sector/market (up is not useful unless you want to replace the rigor of curiosity with warm fuzziness), as an indicator of news.

The greater than normal unknowns (Irish property exposure, Irish economy as influenced by 'one-size-fits-all' EU interest rate, derivative-exposure) mean we are having a day at the races. I am not sure it is possible categorically to say just now of any financial (except possibly dear old Goldman) that it is a sound company or a certain bargain, though it may be the year after next.
Re-reading that, I realise I should rectify a mis-statement: at its current price, I do not think Goldman is a bargain.
Advertisement