Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm clear on the fact that if I owned my house for less than 2 years I'll have to pay capital gains taxes on any gain above & beyond my cost basis barring exceptions such as if the sale was due to a job change, etc.

What I'm not clear on is, what is allowable to be included in my cost basis? Can anyone please shed any light on such examples as:

1. Repairs/upgrades I do to the inside
2. Selling costs like advertising, attorney fee, title insurance, transfer taxes?
3. Condo monthly association dues?
4. Condo special assessments for things like vinyl siding or roof replacements
5. Loan closing costs
6. House inspection cost

And two "easy" ones:
1. Property taxes paid (I would assume no, since I'm already using them for itemizing)
2. Mortgage interest paid (I would assume no, for same reason above?)

Knowing I might be able to add these into my cost basis SIGNIFICANTLY helps me determine my "trigger" acceptance price for any potential offers I'll receive.

Thanks greatly -- AD
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.