Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was long T when they spun off AWE. I ended up with shares of AWE in my port which I didn't want, so I sold it and bought T with the proceeds. (The AWE just appeared in my account, balanced by a matching drop in the price of T.)

I'm sure that, come April 15, my broker will send me and the IRS a Form 1099 (or whatever) noting the sale of AWE, and the IRS is going to want to know my basis in AWE so they can tax me on the sale.

What do I tell them? I did a search on this board, and didn't find anything; if it's already been discussed, please give me a link.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.