Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: holzgrafe Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Cost Basis on AWE? Date: 7/17/2001 4:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was long T when they spun off AWE. I ended up with shares of AWE in my port which I didn't want, so I sold it and bought T with the proceeds. (The AWE just appeared in my account, balanced by a matching drop in the price of T.)

I'm sure that, come April 15, my broker will send me and the IRS a Form 1099 (or whatever) noting the sale of AWE, and the IRS is going to want to know my basis in AWE so they can tax me on the sale.

What do I tell them? I did a search on this board, and didn't find anything; if it's already been discussed, please give me a link.

Thanks,
holzgrafe
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52609 of 121095
Subject: Re: Cost Basis on AWE? Date: 7/17/2001 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Here's AT&T's discussion.

http://www.att.com/ir/ss/tbi/reorgbknd.html#wireless

Author: holzgrafe Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52620 of 121095
Subject: Re: Cost Basis on AWE? Date: 7/17/2001 11:22 PM
Thanks! It never occured to me that ATT would provide the information. I guess I'm too much of a pessimist.

Regards,
holzgrafe

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement