UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190321  
Subject: Cost of DDR2 SODIMMs Date: 10/5/2012 8:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I figured with the continuing drop in prices of memory, I'd upgrade RAM but - YIKES! - the cost of my RAM is hardly low -- about $100 to $120 on eBay for:

8GB (2x 4GB) PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHz SODIMM Laptop Memory non-ECC RAM 200pin

At the same time, **16GB** of DDR3 RAM is going for $70 these days at Fry's (and probably cheaper online).

Is there something about DDR2 RAM which makes it that much more expensive? Maybe it's "old fashioned" compared to DDR3? Just curious as to why the differential....

BG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182074 of 190321
Subject: Re: Cost of DDR2 SODIMMs Date: 10/5/2012 9:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Hey BlueGrits,,,

Read at the below link, it explains it pretty well, and why the cost differential...

TK...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400801,00.asp

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182076 of 190321
Subject: Re: Cost of DDR2 SODIMMs Date: 10/5/2012 11:00 PM
Thank you....I didn't realize I already had a relic of a laptop *sigh*

I'm generally happy with my Sony Vaio VGN-FW550F, but was hoping to score a cheap RAM upgrade due to price drops. It's all of 17" (and weighs it), so it's a chore to lug around on the rare occurrence when I have to tote it somewhere.

Thanks!

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182077 of 190321
Subject: Re: Cost of DDR2 SODIMMs Date: 10/5/2012 11:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yes,,, BlueGrits,,,

That's the way it goes!!!

You have to remember Moore's Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

every 18 Months, things Change,,,, LOL...

TK...

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182080 of 190321
Subject: Re: Cost of DDR2 SODIMMs Date: 10/7/2012 5:00 PM
I can sympathize 100%. I just picked up used MacBook Pro that uses a very similar module (PC2-5300), and I want to upgrade the RAM. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find 4GB modules for much less than $90.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement