Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 12:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We will be retiring early next year and I was wondering if membership at any of the above stores is really worth it for two people.
I belonged to several of these stores years ago before we moved to the city and gave up the car. I sometimes bought things that ended up being thrown out because the sizes were too big. I can see that there is money to be saved on non-food items such as detergent, etc. etc.
Any thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17901 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I was wondering if membership at any of the above stores is really worth it for two people. I belonged to several of these stores years ago before we moved to the city and gave up the car.

I found it worthwhile for a household of one, but I had a car for totin' and plenty of storage space. How are you fixed for those two issues?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17902 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 1:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
I and my other half are retired with noone else at home and keep a Costco membership, make trips there about every month and consider it worthwhile. There are a few things that we do not buy just because the size or quantity of purchase is too large to store for the period of time to use.

Bob

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17903 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 3:25 PM
We will be moving from a small apartment in the city to a small house in a small town in Massachusetts. We will be buying a car when we retire as we will have to have one to get around. Here in the city a car is not a necessity. Public transportation gets us everywhere we want to go.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17904 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 3:26 PM
Yes, I figured that we would most likely get a membership and go once a month also. I will have to cut out the impulse buying though which I believe gets us all in alot of trouble in those types of stores.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17905 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 3:37 PM
I will have to cut out the impulse buying though which I believe gets us all in alot of trouble in those types of stores.

As you walk into our Costco, the first thing you see are the large-screen TVs. While we already have one in the family room, there's the impulse to get a bigger one for the bedroom. And there are the new computers and cameras behind the TVs. Once past the electronics, I'm much less tempted.

We eat lots of salads and we buy six-packs of cans of Costco's house-brand chicken to put on them, as well as packs of canned tuna and salmon. We keep plenty of that stuff handy for emergency purposes (Cascadia subduction fault). The quality is pretty good and I like the salmon better than Trader Joe's. For the occasional treat we get the two-pound package of pulled pork, cut it up into ½-pound pieces and freeze three of them. The big bags of frozen chicken breasts make for convenience when we want to make a stir-fry (they defrost nicely in the microwave). The cheese is often a good deal and the six-packs of dental floss are convenient. If you're into Benadryl, you can get a lifetime supply for around $5.

I got an eye exam there this year for a good price, but I don't know if every store has a live-in optometrist. And the pharmacy has the lowest prices in town.

Once a month sounds about right.

--fleg

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17906 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 3:58 PM
I used to love going to Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club. Now when I have to buy computer paper, I realize what a good deal it was to buy 1,000 sheets of paper at those stores. I also miss the big bags of chicken tenders that were a really good deal. Not to mention the giant economy sized detergent!
Has anyone bought furniture at one of these stores?
I might be looking for a new bedroom set as the current one is 30 years old and had been purchased at a thrift shop. Best bargain I ever got but I will be using it to furnish a guest room. The furniture looks like a good deal at those places but not sure of the quality. Not a good deal if it doesn't hold up.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17907 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 6:10 PM
We will be retiring early next year and I was wondering if membership at any of the above stores is really worth it for two people.

It depends...can you adjust the way you eat? For the 2 of us to finish a big bag of ripe bell peppers before they go bad, I usually need to fix roasted pepper soup or pepper steak. A big bag of apples? Applesauce. I love Costco's big bags of dried cranberries and tubs of nuts as well as their cheese, canned stuff, Pacific chicken broth, etc. We use Kirkland dishwater detergent, which we put into a big ole plastic tub that once contained biscotti--from Costco.

What part of Massachusetts are you moving to?

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17908 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 6:27 PM
Don't know your ages. If either of you does not have drug coverage, Costo's pharmacy is low priced. We had a dog that needed a couple of generic medications - nothing fancy. Costco was $23 a month cheaper than any other local drug store on on line options. (We actually go a 90 day supply, but it worked out to $23/month.)

We don't buy much food at Costco - we do buy what I would call staple items including food. Black olive - a package of 6 cans (lasts a few months) about half the Kroger price. Toilet paper about 15% saving. Large box (bigger than Krogers by twice) of Kellog's Special K with Berries about 60% Kroger price. Toothpaste and such also cheaper.

The content of hardware and housewares changes, so if you decide today you want that floor mat or set of bowels you saw 6 weeks ago -- well it may not be there.

Costco has an excellent warranty.

It is like any store - you need to know your prices. They will let you walk and look without joining. Do that.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17909 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 6:29 PM
Looking at Newburyport, Newbury, Amesbury. We may need to find a rental first. The real estate agent told us that we needed to have a signed contract on our apartment here before we could make a serious offer on a house. Since we will be looking for a place in Feb. or March, we may have to sell and find a rental as there might not be much on the market in the winter. The rentals are fairly inexpensive on the beach as they are called Winter Rentals and are for short term only.
This is a big move for us. Retirement is stressful enough but selling and buying again adds to that quite a bit.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17910 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 6:32 PM
We are 65 and 64 years of age. Thanks for the info on Costco meds. We will both be on Medicare next year but our neighbor told us that we would do better buying our meds from a Canadian Pharmacy on-line. I take only one medication and Sams Club has it for $4.00. Unbelievable. Not sure if they have my husband's medication at that price. Will certainly check out the prices at Costco.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17911 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/11/2012 8:50 PM
Astroe, as you know, I live alone. When I purchase Bell Peppers, I use part of it, the remainder, I complete the seeding, cut into strips and freeze them. The frozen peppers are great for soups, stews, etc.

Donna

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17913 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/12/2012 11:57 AM
Looking at Newburyport, Newbury, Amesbury.

Pretty up that way, scenic and nice New England residential architecture. I have fond memories of bird-watching at the wildlife refuge on Plum Island, delicious fried clams at Woodman's in Essex, and walking around scenic fishing villages on Cape Ann and beyond. Easy distance to Boston, Maine, the White Mountains. Weather can get a bit nippy, though.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17917 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/12/2012 2:27 PM
Weather can get a bit nippy, though.

I welcome nippy. I have suffered through seven horrible summers in this city. I cannot do another. When the weather is as hot and humid as it's been these past few years most of us have to do our shopping and run errands early in the morning. (Those of us who are retired, that is).
My apartment is so hot and there is no cross ventilation therefore the A/C runs practically all day along with a big pedestal fan.
I will not miss the summers here or the high electric bills.
New England here I come!

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17919 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/12/2012 2:43 PM
I have suffered through seven horrible summers in this city. I cannot do another. When the weather is as hot and humid as it's been these past few years most of us have to do our shopping and run errands early in the morning. (Those of us who are retired, that is).
My apartment is so hot and there is no cross ventilation therefore the A/C runs practically all day along with a big pedestal fan.
I will not miss the summers here or the high electric bills.

If you don't have family keeping you in the Northeast, have you considered the PNW? Here in Portland we had only 11 days at or above 90 degrees all year, with humidity averaging 53% on those days. And only 0.21 inches of rain since July 1st -- that's right, one-fifth of an inch in 3½ months. And it only snows at our elevation a few days every other year. And with all those rivers and dams, the electricity is pretty cheap.

--fleg, who experienced his first WDI (wet-dog incident) in months today

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17920 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/12/2012 4:29 PM
If you don't have family keeping you in the Northeast, have you considered the PNW?

Yes, we do have family living in the Northeast. It's our main reason for retiring there. Also, much cheaper housing there than in our current neighborhood which is very close to Manhattan.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17922 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 12:16 AM
I have a BJ's membership for a 1 person household. I go about once a month. I find it worthwhile for some items.

Birgit

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17924 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 10:17 AM
We may need to find a rental first. The real estate agent told us that we needed to have a signed contract on our apartment here before we could make a serious offer on a house.

I am confused--you can't buy a house in Northeastern Massachusetts unless you're already a renter there? I never heard of such a thing, and I have moved directly to a new house in a different state twice. Is your RE agent serious or simply advising to rent first before you select your house/neighborhood/town since the area is new to you? That might be good advice.

I know you're feeling young and spry, but it doesn't hurt to look down the road a bit. You might consider living close to a town center, where you could walk to restaurants and to do some errands and see people. That's something I miss since leaving NYC--I hate having to drive everywhere. While there's a sense of freedom while driving, there's a deeper sense of freedom and ability when using my own two feet (and not on the gas pedal ;-) Not to mention things like...is there a nice senior center (if that appeals), convenient library hours not just oriented around school schedules (ditto), shuttle vans for people who are temporarily or permanently unable to drive (taxis cost more, but maybe that's not an issue for you)?

Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17925 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 10:51 AM
I don't intend to speak for Brooklyn, but I believe the apartment she is talking about is the property they own and live in In New York....something they call apartment we might call a condo.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17926 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 11:01 AM
I am confused--you can't buy a house in Northeastern Massachusetts unless you're already a renter there?

The reason we may have to find a short-term rental first is that we live in a co-operative apartment and it may take at least ninety days to close the deal. Our main goal is to sell this apartment and get out of Dodge (so to speak). Selling a co-op is very different from selling a house. I sold three houses in the past 40 years with no problem. With our first house we closed in the morning and bought the new house in the afternoon. The houses were both in the same town. When we sold house #2 we were relocating to RI from NY. We closed on the house, the movers came, we packed up 4 cats and me and my daughter drove to RI hoping that my DH had closed on the house with no problems. Talk about stress. Closings in RI are much easier than here in NY. When we sold house #3 in RI we found a rental back here in the city. So, that was pretty easy.
Now we are retiring. The town has a town center, lots of good restaurants, a library, bank, post office, medical building and a fairly decent hospital that services alot of the surrounding towns.
There is a movie theatre, an Actor's Studio and a performing arts theatre in this small town. It's perfect for retirees. Lots of tourists as it's on the water. We live with alot of tourists coming to this neighborhood now as we are right on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge which is a must-see for tourists.
I will be fine if I don't have a nervous breakdown from the stress.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17927 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 12:07 PM
I give up. What's BJ's> I know Costco and Sam's Club, but not BJ's

Count Upp

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17928 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 12:57 PM
http://www.bjs.com/

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17929 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 1:07 PM
What's BJ's> I know Costco and Sam's Club, but not BJ's

Same/same.

Chili

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17930 of 19224
Subject: Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date: 10/14/2012 1:34 PM
BJ's is on Long Island. It's just like Costco or Sam's Club.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement