Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: KMQA One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39286  
Subject: costs when moving to lower expense ratio fund? Date: 1/17/2013 1:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hello,

Fidelity sent me a letter in the mail about how my FUSEX (Spartan 500 Index Fund Investor Class) shares are now eligible to be converted to FUSVX (Spartan 500 Index Fund Advantage Class) shares (Advantage Class investment minimum dropped from $100K to $10K), and, as they touted how the expense ratio would now be 0.07% instead of 0.10%, this prompted me to look into Vanguard's current expense ratio. Since VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares) is 0.05%, I'm considering moving funds.

Without opening up the S&P 500 vs Total Market index question (which has been debated quite a bit on TMF), I'm wondering if there are any costs to moving from a higher expense ratio fund to a lower one (assuming that the funds are roughly equivalent [S&P 500 to S&P 500, for example])?

I'm really thinking of the discussions around when it's a good idea to re-finance your mortgage and whether to switch from one online bank interest paying account to another, and wondering if there are similar calculations to be made for switching index funds based on expense ratios.

Thanks in advance for your perspective,

KM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement