Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: 5 best and 5 worst things you did. Date: 5/13/2005 2:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Could those retired fools give the rest of us "getting close" tells us the 5 smartest and 5 not so smart things they did as preparation for retirement. Looking baack with hindsight, what is the single most important thing to do preparing for retirement?

I did more dumb things than smart. Maybe that's why I'm not yet retired (Next January, though!)

Best:
1. Got a univeristy education, which offered me a well-paid career path.
2. Got out of all non-mortgage debt early. (This rates high with me, and apparently with many here.)
3. We have saved prodigously for the past ten years. Maxed out 401K, wife's SEP-IRA, Keogh IRA's. and other savings.
4. Own our residence as opposed to rent. Some would disagree, but we have a lot of equity we wouldn't otherwise have.
5. Bought and held mutual funds. Started buying (too late - 1993), and bought front-end loaded funds (American Funds), but I have held them through thick and thin. The portfolio is broadly based. In the "bad" years of 1999-2002 we moved mostly horizontally (although our Small Cap World got clobbered.) The portfolio is worth several times the starting value today.
I have to add a sixth:
6. I am very pleased with the time-share units we have. We like to travel, and this gives us a pre-paid package of accomodations far superior to a hotel/motel. Buying was painful. But now we are glad to have the use of it. We have invested roughly the price of a new Cadillac, but the Caddy would depreciate faster. Both require maintenance (Time shares carry an annual maintenance fee), and, yes, there is an exchange fee. Still we have enjoyed the use of them.

Worst things:
1. Waited far too long to get serious about saving. Lived too well, didn't save nearly enough, early enough.
2. Bought a few "get-rich-quick" investments that didn't pan out. The old adage: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
3. Bought stocks relying on the advice of my Dean Witter advisor. 'Nuff said!
4. Bought bond funds (GNMA and High Yield - Dean Witter.) When interest rates soared in the 70's, I got clobbered.
5. Bought a variable annuity. A plain mutual fund would have been (and still is) better.

cliff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement