UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SisypheanFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76112  
Subject: Re: Vanguard and SIPC Date: 12/31/2004 7:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Could you back up that there isn't some private insurance for Vanguard's funds?

My earlier post in this thread:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21836009
On 12/16 I replied:
"So this means that VG funds are not insured, right? Is there any protection for funds that are invested in VG funds?"

This has gone unanswered by VG's online member support.

This past week when I got a "welcome" call from their Voyager Services rep., it was affirmed that there is no insurance for VG Fund Accts. If I wanted to be insured, I needed to place my assets in non-VG funds, bonds and stocks through my VG brokerage acct.

So not sure what I can provide other than the 2-week plus non-response from VG on the specific query message, and a direct "no coverage" reply from their Voyager rep.

Thanks for digging up those Diehard links. Much more informative than what VG has provided so far, but it would sure feel better if I got this info directly from VG as I've requested from them. But the only response I've had from them is that there is no insurance for assets placed in their fund account, the only insurance is through their brokerage account which is actually the SIPC and excess private insurance of Pershing's.

The replies in the Diehard links seem to note the checks and balances that are in place to protect us. Yet we all have seen where assets have been usurped in the past despite regulatory oversight, thus why I'd feel better if there was something similar to SIPC in place.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement