No. of Recommendations: 7
CountNoCount,

I wrote, I've told her my projections. But she still refuses to budget. She might have to sell her house when that happens and move in one of the kids.

To which you replied, Why does selling the house automatically mean move in with the kids? How about buying a less expensive house? Or a condo?

I think you are overestimating my mother. You assume she is making responsible financial decisions. If you knew how much she was spending and what she was and wasn't spending it on, you probably wouldn't ask this.

Honestly I don't know that she will even be able to sell the house. With the condition its in, the fact that my little brother is basically using it as a huge storeroom and that she will probably not have the financial ability to fix the place up by the time she realizes she must. I actually suspect the tax man will ultimately take the place from her.

I have tried to help, but I've given up. I've decided I was just enabling her and it became clear that it wasn't really appreciated. Fortunately everyone in the family loves her so it shouldn't be too hard for her to find accommodations once she's thrown everything but her social security income away. It's just a shame to see her squandering their life's savings.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement