Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: I'm a FIRE wannabe... Date: 7/24/2007 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Couple of points to add.

#1--talk to your employer or who ever administers the 401k about adding options.

#2--IMHO, don't worry too much about diversity (i.e. foreign funds, etc.) until you get above the $50k level. Below that, commissions and fees tend to take away too much.

#3--I would not use different accounts to diversify, i.e. 401k in S&P500, wife's IRA in small cap, another IRA for foreign. Personal anecdote, I tried that once and didn't have a happy ending. Used one IRA account for foreign at a time when foreign was bad. Couldn't add money to it quick enough and turned into a pain trying to sell in other accounts to keep my overall balance. Best thing to do is keep same percentages in all accounts, i.e, if you want 50% S&P500 allocation, have all accounts with 50% S&P500.

#4--a common mistake people make is assuming they can tolerate volatility. People usually only see the good (up swings) of volatility and discount the bad. You won't know how you handle the bad until you've lived it. When diversifying, start out with small allocations until you see how things work and are interrelated.

JLC
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement