UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1956865  
Subject: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 1:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
Let's see how many recs this gets.

In a case freighted with major constitutional implications, a federal appeals court on Friday overturned President Obama’s controversial recess appointments from last year, ruling he abused his powers and acted when the Senate was not actually in a recess.

The three-judge panel’s ruling is a major blow to Mr. Obama. The judges ruled that the appointments he made to the National Labor Relations Board are illegal, and the board no longer has a quorum to operate.

But the ruling has even broader constitutional significance, with the judges arguing that the president’s recess appointment powers don’t apply to “intrasession” appointments — those made when Congress has left town for a few days or weeks.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/25/federal-cour...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855250 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 2:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I rec'd it :)
This ruling is bigger than people think. It means O can't bypass the Senate for one and for two it invalidates all the NLRB's rulings from last year. Since Cordray was also appointed that way, everything he did is also zeroed out.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855251 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 2:21 PM
Recommendations: 2
Crickets from libruls.

Author: thoughtcrook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855253 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 2:37 PM
it means the ussc needs to resolve the conflicting opinions between this appeals court and the 11th circuit 2003 decision evans v. stephens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recess_appointment

Author: Icemann11 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855255 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 2:39 PM
Crickets from libruls.

And more denigration, lack of respect for others, hysteria etc from the right. I thought it was bad the way the left denigrated Mr. Bush...but the right has been equal in return.

And this is why there are 'checks and balances'. Mr. Obama made a big mistake and unless their appeal is granted, his administration in general, and Mr. Obama specifically, definitely looks bad here.

I thought Mr. Obama specialized in constitutional matters.

Icemann

Author: SooozFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855261 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 3:06 PM
Recommendations: 28
Were you concerned about "abuse of power" when the 11th Circuit reached the opposite result in 2004 in upholding a GWB recess appointment?

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200216424ord2.pdf

The federal courts of appeals are now split on this issue.

But, keep acting like it's a brand-new issue, and of course keep misspelling the President's name because that really adds credibility to your posts.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855277 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 4:16 PM
Were you concerned about "abuse of power" when the 11th Circuit reached the opposite result in 2004 in upholding a GWB recess appointment?

IIRC the Bush appointments were made when the Senate was actually in recess. Obama's weren't. Harry Reid held the Senate over and they never were actually in recess.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855286 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 4:29 PM
The government under Owebama is like a dysfunctional marriage. The country is now more divided than ever in its history.

Thanks, Owebama. Hope and change indeed.

Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855289 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 8
Today's news reports consistently emphasize that this decision is "a victory for Republicans." Gee: must be that rampant liberal media bias. A panel of judges all appointed by Republican presidents reached a decision that Republicans applaud. That's a bit like saying I'm really happy that only people I invited decided to show up for my birthday party.

The same theorists who decry judicial activism have done just what the higher court (SCOTUS) did in the now-infamous "Citizen United" decision three years ago: disregard _stare decisis_ and years upon years of settled governmental practice. How is that a "conservative" outcome in any meaningful way?

Oh, but congrats to the stonewallers in Congress. The unitary executive was a highly popular concept just a few years ago. What changed? "Their guy" lost the presidential election.

Victory: the one truly enduring principle.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855291 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 4:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
Supremes will sort it out, no doubt influenced by the long history of use by both parties and vagueness of the term "recess".

Go back to worrying about the Beyonce' "scandal".

Author: SooozFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855292 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 4:39 PM
IIRC the Bush appointments were made when the Senate was actually in recess. Obama's weren't. Harry Reid held the Senate over and they never were actually in recess.

You may be thinking of the more common type of recess appointment, not the particular type made by Bush that was challenged in 2004 and the NLRB appointments Obama made.

The Bush appointment challenged in the 2004 11th Circuit decision was made during a long weekend in February, not during a recess between Congresses. The Obama NLRB recess appointments were also not made between Congresses.

That's the key distinction here, and the 11th and DC Circuits are in conflict over the propriety of such appointments, according to Scotusblog:

"Strictly curbing the President’s power to temporarily fill government posts to keep an agency in operation, the D.C. Circuit Court ruled Friday that the constitutional authority to fill a vacancy can only be used when one Congress has ended and before a new Congress comes to town, or when there is a formal break at the end of one session, but not during any other mid-session break."

"[A] two-to-one majority [also] ruled that the vacancy-filling power only applies to vacancies that actually open up during a formal recess, between sessions or between Congresses. Because lower courts are split on both issues, this historic controversy over the constitutional separation of powers is likely to go on to the Supreme Court."

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/01/presidents-appointment-pow...

Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855295 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 4:54 PM
I thought Mr. Obama specialized in constitutional matters.

Icemann

Does not matter if he did. Obama is a tyrant wannabe. How long are the lefties and adoring media going going to give him a pass?

Obama is not a fool. He knows he's got 4 years to just wait for one more conservative justice to croak or retire. Then he'll ruin the US for decades.

MetalDecathlete

Author: SooozFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855297 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 5:12 PM
Recommendations: 62
How long are the lefties and adoring media going going to give him a pass?

President Bush's similar 2004 appointment was upheld in court. You righties have given him a pass ever since, for this, and for much, much worse. He gets a pass for 9/11, but Obama's gotta pay for Benghazi. Bush destroys the economy, Obama's gotta pay for not fixing it soon enough. Bush fuels a giant deficit with two unpaid-for wars and a bunch of tax cuts, but the resulting deficit is Obama's. Bush drags us into Iraq, Obama gets us out, but Obama's gotta pay for ... something.

You folks are unreal.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855302 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 5:31 PM
Does not matter if he did. Obama is a tyrant wannabe.

New name, but same ridiculous garbage.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855307 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 5:49 PM
and of course keep misspelling the President's name because that really adds credibility to your posts.

There's no such thing as "credibility" in this zoo except librul-to-librul posts. Y'all follow your Pied Pipers and listen to no one else...ever.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855330 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 9:18 PM
Recommendations: 0
Courts usually do not like exalting form over substance.

Ken

Author: Icemann11 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855356 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/25/2013 11:04 PM
and of course keep misspelling the President's name because that really adds credibility to your posts.

There's no such thing as "credibility" in this zoo except librul-to-librul posts. Y'all follow your Pied Pipers and listen to no one else...ever.

Kettle...meet Pot. ; )

Icemann

Author: richieds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855388 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/26/2013 9:12 AM
"This ruling is bigger than people think. It means O can't bypass the Senate for one and for two it invalidates all the NLRB's rulings from last year."

It may be even bigger than YOU think.

After all, with nearly 300 such appointments being made between 1867 and 2004, you may be able to go back and invalidate thousands of rules and regulations made over the past century and a half.

Of course, normally, the problem would be that such a ruling comes back to bite the next GOP president in the rear, since dems will be salivating to block appointments when their turn comes....

however, considering the current state of the GOP, that is likely to be at least 12 years down the line, so I guess it's not something they need to worry about.

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855395 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/26/2013 10:08 AM
Obama is not a fool. He knows he's got 4 years to just wait for one more conservative justice to croak or retire. Then he'll ruin the US for decades.
===================================
Nice thought, but not that likely. The oldest justices are Ginsburg (79), Kennedy (76), Scalia (76), and Breyer (74). And it's not like there's a solid 5-4 block now; Kennedy is often referred to as a swing vote, and Roberts refreshingly thinks for himself sometimes too. (remember Obamacare?)

Bill

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855438 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/26/2013 1:06 PM
Recommendations: 4
Not to mention the infantilizaton / baby talk used for the name of President of the U.S. in this thread's title clearly shows the emotional maturity of a fourth grader.

flowerschild

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855469 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/26/2013 2:40 PM
MetalDecathlete says

... Obama is a tyrant wannabe. How long are the lefties and adoring media going going to give him a pass?

Until he crushes the life out of the last conservative with his jackboots, obviously.

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855764 of 1956865
Subject: Re: Court: Owebama abused his power Date: 1/28/2013 9:36 AM
Snoozefool

You folks are unreal.

No you and the 59 Obama adoring fools that rec'd you (as of now) are what's unreal.

Metal

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement