No. of Recommendations: 4
Cousin is being unreasonable. The whole "pay what you want" thing seems destined to cause problems.

I do think an open accounting up front (prior to booking) is very important in these kind of things. If assumptions are made, someone's always going to feel taken advantage of.

Example - my husband goes to an annual bowling tournament with a bunch of his buddies and last year there was some dissent over the costs because a guy "passed out" in husband's room and so didn't use the room he was originally planning to share with some other guys. Apparently one train of thought was that whoever was in the room in the morning paid their share of that room - so three guys in one room, each pay 1/3, four guys - 1/4, two guys - 1/2.

The guys who had to pay 1/2 because their roommie happened to sleep/pass out in the other room were mad they had to pay more, while the three guys who had the inconvenience of a drunk guy passed out in their room thought it was perfectly OK to have to pay 1/4 and not 1/3 (and apparently this is how it used to be done for their previously much-larger group).

In the end my husband paid the 2 upset guys just to make everyone happy, but there were pretty hard feelings over what was probably like $20 a person either way. Problem was that it was not stated up front how the costs would be done and everyone thought the way they thought was right.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement