Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jediinc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Covered Call Taxes? Date: 7/10/2000 8:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I sell a covered call, in the year end statement from my broker, my broker says that this transaction has not been reported to the IRS.

Is the premium taxable as regular income? OR
Can I deduct the premium from my original purchase price and thereby increase my long term capital gain?
OR
Is the premium not taxable?

Thanks,
Jedi
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zman49 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37334 of 121095
Subject: Re: Covered Call Taxes? Date: 7/10/2000 8:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Jedi,

Greetings and welcome to the Motley Fool message boards.

The reporting requirements for a covered call vary depending on a number of circumstances, but none of the alterniatives you listed would be correct for an average investor (as opposed to a professional trader).

Some time ago a posted the circumstances which would have an impact on reporting covered calls, along with the procedures to follow in most circumstances. You can find that post at

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380046000355000

I hope it answers your questions.

Good Luck,
Z

Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37344 of 121095
Subject: Re: Covered Call Taxes? Date: 7/10/2000 11:25 PM
If I sell a covered call, in the year end statement from my broker, my broker says that this
transaction has not been reported to the IRS.

That is correct

Is the premium taxable as regular income?
NO
OR Can I deduct the premium from my original purchase price and thereby increase my long
term capital gain?

Not until and unless you actually deliver your shares when your Call is called.
OR Is the premium not taxable?

That's right, not until you cover, you sell, or it expires. Ed

Author: jediinc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37368 of 121095
Subject: Re: Covered Call Taxes? Date: 7/11/2000 4:52 PM
Thank you Zman, I have printed your discertation and will study it. Right now I am still confused but I believe if I study your post I will get it.

By the way, I always thought a straddle was something you did on a horse.

Jedi

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement