Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Pituophis Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56  
Subject: Cowboys defenders thinking of points given up Date: 9/11/2007 9:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Cowboys defenders thinking of points given up, not victory
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3013291

IRVING, Texas -- Asked what stuck out in his mind the day after the season opener, Dallas Cowboys cornerback Anthony Henry didn't talk about winning the game.

"We gave up a lot of yards. Teams are going to look at that," Henry said Monday. "It was a bittersweet win. If we don't get in and correct those things, then it's going to be a problem for us throughout the season."

While a 45-35 victory over the New York Giants showed the potential of the Tony Romo-led offense with new coordinator Jason Garrett's aggressive play calling, the opener Sunday night raised concerns about what is supposed to be a much better defense under Wade Phillips.

The Cowboys gave up 438 yards and several big plays, including a 60-yard touchdown pass on the third snap of the game. Then Eli Manning had two more TD passes in a three-minute span in the fourth quarter that cut the Giants' 16-point deficit to a field goal.

"I was really surprised because a lot of those plays were maybe blown coverages or somebody not getting pressure, probably me not getting pressure, on a couple of plays," linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. "I think that will be corrected this week."

The flaws were already supposed to be fixed under Phillips, the renowned defensive coordinator who replaced the retired Bill Parcells last winter and brought a more aggressive 3-4 scheme.

"Fortunately, we won the game. It's easy to fix everything when you win," defensive end Chris Canty said.

"I'm an offensive coach now," Phillips joked Monday. "I'm encouraged by the 45 points and I'm discouraged by the 35. ... We made too many mental mistakes, assignment mistakes. We're not a big-play, give-up defense."........
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement