No. of Recommendations: 2
I have been trying to determine the CPI-U, to calculate the relative benefits of I-Bonds, TIPS and conventional Treasuries.

The CPI-U, which is used for calculating I-Bond interest rates, is on:

This page states: "It is the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers (CPI-U) over six months." But, they don't say which six months.

The table of monthly % change of CPI-U is found at:

It appears that the Treasury adds together the 6 months that end with the month before the announcement. The announcement on May 1 uses the sum of six monthly inflation rates, from October through March. The announcement on Nov. 1 uses April through September.

However, the summed BLS numbers don't match up exactly, with the Treasury numbers.

How does Treasury calculate the CPI-U they use?

The May 1, 2006 inflation rate of 0.5% will be applied to all savings bonds and TIPS that are issued until Nov. 1. Since this rate applies to the first 6 months of a bond, a savings bond that is bought in October 2006 will add this inflation rate (0.5% x 2) to the fixed rate (1.4%), giving a total rate of 2.4%, until April 2007.

A TIPS that is bought in October 2006 will have its principal adjusted upward by 0.5% in April 2007...right? Bloomberg lists the current 5-year TIPS rate at 2.37%.

We are halfway to the inflation figure that will be used for the Nov. 1 announcement (Apr-Jun 2006). So far, the sum of the inflation % increase of Apr-Jun 2006 is 1.6%. Quadrupling that, to get an annual rate, that would be 6.4%.

The implied inflation rate of the 5 year TIPS is 2.54%.

Corus Bank is offering a 6-month CD, yielding 5.50% (APY 5.64%).
Everbank has a 3-month introductory net banking rate of 5.51%.

Now, I am really confused. What do do, with maturing CDs?

Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.