Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: epc53 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121112  
Subject: Re: Taxes for First Contracting Job Date: 8/6/2009 10:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
crank stuff about passive voice

(where you nailed the situation) That info was from the contact agent who inspires less confidence than in my own opinion, thus the weasel passive voice. I only trusted his opinion to respect the GSA number although he had no idea if it was an absolute limit for total expenses versus some subset and wasn't interested in investigating further even though other 'contractor' employees consistently use 50% of their rate as per diem far exceeding the GSA number.

... Travel between an employee's home and workplace is nondeductible commuting expense. There is no per diem allowance in tax law for travel that doesn't leave you away from home overnight.

If you actually take up temp quarters in a workplace while maintaining your primary residence, you may be eligible for a business-related travel expense. I don't know the IRS publication reference offhand, but if you look at the Schedule A instructions for employee business expenses they will lead you there.

I can't do 8 hours of commute per day so I will maintain a second residence. It makes sense that I can't claim weekly commute expense AND claim 7 day per week of per diem. I will look at sched A per your guidance.

Thank you very much, Phil.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement