UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi everyone,

I have a car question. I posted Can anyone help me 1 and 2, but I didn't talk about my car. My car is a big problem that I have been trying to work on. I have a 2002 Saturn SL2 with 146K miles. I love my car had it for 4 years and I paid it off this month (April 2008). The problem is I got into a front end head on accident about 8 months ago. My tags expired March of 2008. My car still runs great but it can't pass the emission test. If I can't pass the test I can't got my tags so for now I have temp tags.

I know your question..."Where is my car insurance?". I have it but I have limited coverage (to save money). So because I hit the other car (which had no damage) my car is not covered.

Should I buy a new car or get the old one fixed for over $4000. This is money that I don't have either way. If I pay the $4000+ they do have a payment plan, but I don't know if my credit is good enough to get it. I also don't think I can pay the payments. The same problems with a new car. I only have 30 days and my temp tags expired.

Please help.

Thanks

Raetsu
Print the post Back To Top
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 270998 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Should I buy a new car or get the old one fixed for over $4000.

What possible list of repairs for emission standards cost $4000?

If it RUNS, just get whatever part is causing it to not pass emissions fixed.

Also, how do you know it won't pass the emission test - has it failed already?

impolite

Author: cybergal5184 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271002 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:09 PM
Well, what's it worth if you fixed it? There's your answer.

If it's worth more than 4K you should fix it. If not, you should just sell the parts now.

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271003 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:09 PM
I took the car to get tested Friday last week (March 31). It didn't past.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271005 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:11 PM
Recommendations: 4
My car still runs great but it can't pass the emission test. If I can't pass the test I can't got my tags so for now I have temp tags.

What state are you in, and did you double-check the laws? In Massachusetts, if you flunk the emissions test and spend a certain amount to fix it, you can get a waiver even if you still don't pass:

http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/smog-check.php#If_Your_Vehicle_Doesn't_Pass_the_Inspection

Nancy

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271008 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:26 PM
I live in TN

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271009 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:26 PM

Okay, and the place that didn't pass it is the place that is doing the quote on service?

impolite

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271011 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 1:33 PM

Okay, and the place that didn't pass it is the place that is doing the quote on service?

The $4000 is for everything the body work too. I will take it back for a quote on just the emission problems.

Thanks

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271018 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 4
The $4000 is for everything the body work too. I will take it back for a quote on just the emission problems.

Have them WRITE OUT a quote on just the emission problems, then call around to check prices at other shops for the same service.

You don't NEED the body work done, you WANT it done. The car is running, and stopping. Therefore, it is functioning. Now you just need some repairs so you can get it tagged.

impolite

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271020 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 2:02 PM
Was the air bag deployed? If it was, has it been replaced?

Doing just enough repair to pass emissions test is a reasonable short term solution.

I am concerned about the safety and long term reliability of the car. $4,000 in apparent damage is significant. Even it you get it repaired, there maybe other damage that isn't obvious.

Not having your car covered was not necessarily a bad choice. You took a risk and in this case lost.

Debra

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271030 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 2:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
4,000 in apparent damage is significant.

We don't know how much of that quote is crap like turn signal fluid, either. It's best to shop around. The OP would have looked like an easy mark after a failed emission test.

Also: I was in a high-speed front end collision a little over a year ago. My Grand Am fared well - $2k in damage. Most of that was actually the bumper. The air bag did NOT deploy. I have no idea how, but it didn't.

At any rate, that was just the front bumper replacement, front quarter panel repair and paint, and some other spare parts. I can see how a bumper, hood, and two quarter panels could EASILY come to $4k plus - with no airbag deployment.

impolite

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271046 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 4:02 PM
As the others suggest, I feel you should get your car running and use it just until you are on better financial footing.

You should plan to get rid of this car as soon as possible. From experience, I know that once a car has been in a major accident the mechanical problems have a high likelihood of recurring. Probably has to do with the shock of impact that looses/breaks/cracks many parts throughout the car, that then give out later.

Which is also why you should never purchase a used car that's been in an accident. Use Carfax to find the car's history, if possible.

~dswing

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271078 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 6:02 PM
Thanks everyone,

I will let you know how it goes on the repair. I think I will start a car fund too so I can start saving for a new car. What is a good cash amount to put down? Or to pay in total for a car? This car cost me $7000 four years ago and I loved it.

PS: The air bag did not deploy.

raetsu

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271098 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/4/2008 11:53 PM
#1. What lender allowed you to carry only liability insurance?

#2. What, specifically, resulted in a failed emmission test?

xtn

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271129 of 308882
Subject: Re: Crazy Car Date: 4/5/2008 5:41 PM
When you took your car to the DMV (or MVD) for testing and it flunked, what portion of the test did it fail? I once had a truck fail the gas cap pressure test. It was only $100 to replace the cracked hose.

Depending on what portion of the emissions test your vehicle failed, it could be very, very cheap to get it repaired.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement