Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
...on transferring ball to hand after making catch...

in Indians game yesterday, right fielder caught ball and momentum carried him toward fence where he dropped ball after exchange to hand but took at least 3 steps before transfer...play was reviewed and ruled NO CATCH!!!

Terry Francona made sound bite of the year so far at press conference after the game:

"I thought our right fielder was going to be given a penalty for traveling"
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
...on transferring ball to hand after making catch...

That also happened Tuesday night LAA vs Sea. Trout dropped a ball on transfer ruled catch on the field but overturned upon review. I thought the umps got it right but missed by NY review.

The question is, are there different rules for catch and transfer between infield and outfield?
former player Mike Lowell made any interesting point on MLB Network last night...

he said "the way the rule is written if a player makes a putout to end the inning and goes to toss it to a kid in the stands on his way to the dugout and drops ball before tossing into stands that should be ruled NO CATCH"!!!
The question is, are there different rules for catch and transfer between infield and outfield?

It doesn't seem so.

The same thing happened in the Tigers game against the Orioles last week:
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/replay-upholds-questi...

The shortstop caught a grounder, stepped on second, and then dropped the ball (taking at least 2-3 steps after first catching it) while transferring to his throwing hand. The runner was called safe, though he was clearly out.

Tigers challenged the call, but it was upheld. At least they're being consistent, but this is a rule I'd like to see changed.
Tigers challenged the call, but it was upheld. At least they're being consistent, but this is a rule I'd like to see changed.

The rule is fine. It's the new "interpretation" that's screwy.

Official Rules: 2.00 Definition of Terms

A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession. It is not a catch, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player, or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball. It is not a catch if a fielder touches a fly ball which then hits a member of the offensive team or an umpire and then is caught by another defensive player. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ball shall be adjudged to have been caught. In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.
The Calvin Johnson Rule comes to MLB.
So if the rule is the same what is the new interpretation? Do they have a written directive to umpires?

Robert
So if the rule is the same what is the new interpretation? Do they have a written directive to umpires?

I don't know if there is a written directive, but it's happened like three times already this season that a player has been called safe due to the fielder dropping the ball when transferring it from his glove to his throwing hand.

Earlier this week, there was game in Cleveland, I believe, where the second baseman caught a throw, stepped on the bag, then stepped off the bag to begin his throwing motion to first and at that point dropped the ball. It made no sense that the runner was called safe at second.
Advertisement