UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bigdan195 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308562  
Subject: Credit Card for College Freshman Date: 5/27/2007 7:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My son will be going away to college in August.
He is 18. Just graduated from High School yesterday.
He is a responsible kid.
I am thinking of adding his name to the credit card account with my wife and I.Then, he would have his own card, but all 3 of us would be on the account.
I am asking if others have done this and if it is a good idea.
I trust him, but my only fear is that he will lose the card.

The whole deal is this: he need some money for day to day expenses. Is there another way to do this that makes more sense?

I gues we could give him a few hundred dollars cash we he leaves, and maybe wire him some cash every couple of months.

I just don't know the best way to handle this money situation.

Of course, he has been bombarded by several credit card companies because they know he is agoing away to college. The college (University of Illinois, Champaing-Urbana) has even sent some info about TCF bank located on the campus.

Like I said, I trust him, but I would like to keep an eye on him financially for at least his first year away, and maybe having him on our credit card is one way to do that.

As always, any and all ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement