UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bigdan195 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2818  
Subject: Credit Card for Freshman Date: 5/27/2007 8:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My son will be going away to college this Fall.
He is 18, responsible, and just graduated from high school.

I am thinking of getting him a credit card in the same account with my wife and I. My thought is that I could keep tabs on him financially, at least his first year.

Actually, I am trying to find the best way to deal with money for him. I assume he will need some money for day to day expenses. Maybe I should just give him a few hundred dollars when he leaves, and then wire him cash when he runs short.

How do college students deal with money this these days?
I graduated 36 years ago, so I am a little rusty.

Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2803 of 2818
Subject: Re: Credit Card for Freshman Date: 8/22/2007 2:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The latest "Money" magazine offers some advice and, in an article titled "Send Off a Frugal Freshman" they recommend Citi's mtvU (at citi.com).

They best tip, though, is one I used with great success: buy books online instead of the campus bookstore. I regularly bought at books at half price and, for this semester, bouth Business Plan Pro for about $40 via eBay versus about $90 (plus tax) from the bookstore.

They also rag on campus dining card programs, pointing out that many meals are missed due, I guess, to things like schedules, distance, travel, etc. On the other hand, if the meals themselves are good bargains then maybe even missing some of them still results in a positive. At my undergrad school a number of meal items came from the campus ag farm so, if anything, they were probably as good as or better than a standard eatery.

Graduating in Dec. with an MBA,

BG

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement