UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736656  
Subject: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/23/2013 9:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
What a pain. I wish I knew how it happens, and it happens about once a year. Haven't been anywhere unusual. However, Chase (my Amazon card) is very good. They declined the charge and called me. I always hang up and call them - you never know. The charge was $320(!) for groceries at a store I don't shop at(WalMart*) in Arizona. 3 strikes against the charge.

I've never spent that much on groceries in my life. But now I have to change Netflix, and all my automatic pays. Grump.

* I don't shop at WalMart because there isn't one near me. I have nothing against them.

Plus my Quicken program is telling me I won't be able to download my bank info as of April unless I get an updated version. I have news for the. I write about 3 checks a month. I bet I can do that by hand.

This whining was brought to you by arrete.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668023 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/23/2013 9:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
if you use your card at restaurants and bars...there's a chance it can get copied...if it goes out of your sight.....

It's best to pay in cash......

A lot of the theft occurs at the restaurants and bars with the high turnover type jobs....

t.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668024 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/23/2013 9:37 PM
And of course, if you shop online, you give up that information to any and every larcenous employee of the merchant.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668030 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/23/2013 11:27 PM
And of course, if you shop online, you give up that information to any and every larcenous employee of the merchant.

Not if their website and database are properly designed.

Of course you have no way of knowing that. It's a pretty safe bet for the major online vendors - but for Joe's Bait Shop with the really ugly website that clearly was not designed by a professional...

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668033 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/23/2013 11:46 PM
Not if their website and database are properly designed. Of course you have no way of knowing that. It's a pretty safe bet for the major online vendors - but for Joe's Bait Shop with the really ugly website that clearly was not designed by a professional...

Yabbut, couldn't an employee root around in the rubbish, etc. to find information like that? What about when you give your information on the phone to a Customer Service person? When I pay my utility bill with a debit card, the clerk's got my information right there in front of him/her.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668034 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/24/2013 12:04 AM

Which is a reason to use virtual cards or Paypal.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668035 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/24/2013 12:36 AM
Yabbut, couldn't an employee root around in the rubbish, etc. to find information like that?

On a website? What rubbish?

In a well-designed site there'll be a database, possibly on its own server, dedicated to credit card information. IT will be responsible for sending credit-card transactions on to the processing company. And it will be mostly write-only for the rest of the site and software. When it's asked to do something it will typically reply back either "nope, that didn't work" or "yes, I did that, here's the identifying number that I assigned to it".

There will NOT be a way for other applications using a standard login to the database to extract credit-card numbers. Only the database administrator will be able to do that. And there will probably be approximately two of those for the credit-card database, even for an outfit the size of Wal-mart.

Author: akck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668101 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/24/2013 12:22 PM
Yabbut, couldn't an employee root around in the rubbish, etc. to find information like that? What about when you give your information on the phone to a Customer Service person? When I pay my utility bill with a debit card, the clerk's got my information right there in front of him/her.

First, I wouldn't pay using a debit card. Debit cards are a direct access to your bank account and while you can get your funds back, it may take a while before they are returned, not helping with your other bills. Use a credit card.

Second, if your utility has the proper procedures in place, the clerk should be entering the information directly to a computer and not writing it down. The only time they might write it down is if their computers are down, which they should inform you. If that's the case, call back later.

Unasked, but I'll tell you anyway, checks are the worst way to pay anything. In essence, you're providing your banking information to anyone who puts their hands on it. That happened at work when a check was sent to a vendor. I'd guess someone at a vendor made a copy of the check and they made personal checks using our info at the bottom of the check. We're now on positive pay to monitor all checks, something I don't think an individual can do.

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668104 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/24/2013 12:34 PM
If no one else said it yet, check to see if your card has an RFI chip feature.
It has to be masked, if so.
A scanner can brush by/slip by your wallet and nail the card data.

Author: JimP102 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668208 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/25/2013 3:13 AM
Which is a reason to use virtual cards or Paypal.
----------------------
Absolutely. I use a cash-back virtual card for ALL on-line purchases and PayPal for eBay.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668212 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/25/2013 7:30 AM
So where do you guys get these virtual cards?

arrete

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668247 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/25/2013 10:14 AM
hey birdlady, hope you find out how they got your cc no., that is scary!

I think my AMEX card has something where you can get a temporary no. just for a particular purchase but my mind is fuzzy on details. I'll try and look it up.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 668249 of 736656
Subject: Re: Credit card hacked again Date: 1/25/2013 10:17 AM
Recommendations: 1
here's a eHow about it.

prepaid credit cards I think. Can buy them at grocery stores...like gift cards. Grocery store charged me a fee plus the amount of the card.

http://www.ehow.com/about_7228358_virtual-credit-card_.html

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement