UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cgiorgi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Credit card offers to college students Date: 5/15/1998 5:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There has been a lot of villification of credit card companies for offering credit cards to college students. I agree that offering a college student with no income a $5000 limit is probably not a good idea. However, no one is forcing college students to take these credit card companies up on these offers. These college students are legal adults, who are fully capable of making decisions concerning the extension of credit. My first credit card in college, which I got through USAA (great company, you will never see an offer of pre-approved credit from them in the mail), had a limit of $500. Using that credit card then, when I was making next to nothing taught me how to use credit wisely. I did not get a credit limit raise until I graduated 2 years ago.
Now, I am not asking for sainthood. It's just that the discussion here seems to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the credit card companies. Whatever happened to personal responsibility in this country. Growing up in NYC, drugs were readily accessible, and I saw drug dealers all the time. Do you mean to tell me that had I taken the dealers up on their offer of marijuana or cocaine that I would not have been at fault? It would have been the dealers fault for offering it to me? I realize that drug dealing is a little more egregious than offering credit, but I am trying to make a point.
While the extension of credit to college students may be a risky venture on the part of credit card issuers, that does not give people the right to overextend themselves, and then blame the credit card issuers for "making" them do it. People make decisions every day that will affect them in the future. The use of a credit card is one of those decisions. If you can't handle using a credit card, then don't do it. If you do it anyway, then you have no one to blame but yourself.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement