UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dummheit One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/7/2001 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Probably way too early to be posting this but I like to plan things out. As some may remember my wife and I are celebrating 1 year in on our 3 year "CC Debt Free" plan. Once the plan is close to complete/complete I will be getting rid of most of our credit cards. I plan to keep 2 for emergencies (1 in each of our names and they will be TRUE emergency cards, frozen in my ice box). She has an American Express Blue card that she likes (decent limit and we can use it at Costco and for vacations to Disney *save 5-10%* - paid off when due of course). I am not too fond of any of my cards and might end up scrapping all of them in favor of a "program" card that gives me some freebies (Delta sounds good considering those Disney trips she wants). I know the general feelings about most program cards offered here (Discover/GM/Shell) but if I decide to keep my current cards which bank has caused the least grief - Citibank, Chase or Wachovia? (I already decided to drop MBNA and FUSA)
All of my cards have roughly the same credit limit and the same outrageous interest rate (though that shouldn't matter if I continue to live foolishly)

Dummheit
Print the post Back To Top
Author: EditorialWe Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57147 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/7/2001 12:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Actually I've never had a problem with Discover, but it's a card I've only had since after paying off my debt and I've never carried a balance. Others who have had balances have reported all kinds of trouble.

I think Citibank is generally sound. A few problems have been reported but they don't seem to be too bad overall. Of course my number one recommendation for "the credit card you keep" is a credit union card. They are the least likely to jerk you around, and a credit union actually benefits you as a member rather than profit-hungry shareholder.

Various kinds of rewards cards are available, I'm not a 'miles card' girl myself but if you are interested in these, be aware that there is almost invariably a high annual fee, and you have to crunch numbers and make sure the benefits will actually be worth it.

EditorialWe

Author: bcfrench Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57160 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/7/2001 1:29 PM
I've been very happy with Citibank. I have had their card since 1994 and they've been pretty patient with me even through a period between 1994 and 1997 when I was not good about making payments on time (first job out of college and a husband in graduate school). In fact, it didn't take me too long of making payments regularly to get an internal rating of Excellent, which let me negotiate my interest rate down without any problem.

I also do all my banking at Citibank, and have for three years, including a business account for my small business. They have always dealt with problems, even relatively minor ones, quickly and to my satisfaction.

I transferred the balance on my high-interest MBNA card (24.99%) to my new Chase card (prime + 3.49%) interest card, dropping the MBNA slug like the proverbial hot potato. I haven't had enough experience with Chase to say one way or the other.

...Barb

Author: headcat1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57210 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/7/2001 8:41 PM
If you like Sony products, try to get upgraded to the Citibank Sony card. You can earn points for free stuff.
Also, hit each one of your credit card companies up for lower interest rates about every 4 to 6 months. You might not think that it matters much, but you can really save a hefty bundle in the long run.

Good Luck & Keep on Foolin'

Author: ClubJuggle Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57257 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/8/2001 12:09 PM
Dummheit,

I am a loyal Citibank credit card customer and have been consistently happy with their customer service. I had an account with them while in college, that was unfortunately closed as a result of my credit troubles back then -- even when I was 3 months behind with them, though, they treated me like a human being, and worked with me to come up with a reasonable plan to get my debt to them paid off (basically involved waiver of late/overlimit fees) while other companies were treating me like the scum of the earth.

I opened a Citibank Platinum account in January, 2001, and I'm pleased to say that their customer service is every bit as good as I remember, if not better.

Good luck as you progress in your plan... planning ahead never hurt anyone!
-Terry

Author: spyguy1022 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57303 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/8/2001 3:22 PM
Aside from MBNA not being willing to drop my interest rate I have always been pleased with their customer service, etc. I have consolidated my debt but I keep this card for emergencies.

Just my 2 cents.

Spyguy1022

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57335 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/8/2001 4:56 PM
MBNA has been pretty good for me.
Customer service there is great.

I also have Citibank (at a teaser rate until Sep 2001)
and First USA. I have heard very bad things about First USA but have not had any issues with them at all.

Louise

Author: twillia One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57486 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/10/2001 1:24 AM
I have a Fleet MasterCard with a 7.99% interest rate. I don't call their customer service line so I don't have any opinion of it, but the mere fact that I've had the card for a year with no need to call their customer service is pretty good. I do use their web site to view my expenses and I like it very much.

Tony

Author: mpstein Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58354 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/16/2001 2:01 AM
I believe in having one of each major card - Visa, Master Card, Amex, and Discover - as long as you can do so without paying a fee. Sometimes you will run across a special promotion offering something extra for using one specific card. E.g., although my primary card is a Visa, I once got 5% off a $1,000 airline ticket because I clicked on the airline's promotions page and found a mention of a special 5% discount for paying with Master Card.

- Mike Stein

Author: jlsblayz One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58848 of 308881
Subject: Re: Credit Card Opinions Date: 2/20/2001 10:40 PM
MBNA - pretty unhappy with them. They offered me a decent interest rate of 12.99% and a better intro rate, but after the intro rate expired, they increased APR to 15.99%. I called them to ask why, and the rep stated that I had been sent a letter 3 months prior detailing why it was being raised, and that at that time I could have inquired why it was being raised, but that now she could tell me why. I prompty transferred the balance and cancelled the card.

Citibank - suprisingly good. I have had this card since college, and have even accidentally gone over the limit 2 or 3 times with no over-the-limit fee. also, when the intro was 15.99%, I was going to transfer the entire balance to the above mentioned MBNA. Well, when Citibank got my check, a rep called me and asked about the deal MBNA offerred. He offered me a better one. basically he gave me one month of no interest (but debiting & crediting my account), and then gave me a fixed rate on purchases of 10.99%.

FirstUSA - just plain crappy. was once charged an over the limit fee. well i paid off the entire balance and cancelled the card. they sent me one last bill that had a balance of 0$ and a over-the-limit fee. They removed it when called, but this is still a hassle, and I wonder how many ppl wouldn't notice this.

USAA - pretty good. decent interest rate that varies and really friendly customer support. some solid promotions and no hidden fees/charge so far.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement