UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mllove5520 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Credit concerns Date: 12/7/2000 7:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had posted this at another fool post site, but it was kindly suggested to post here, for guys would know more about how to handle my situation

I am not sure what to do.
Two weeks ago I received a call from a credit collection agency, Coldata, telling me that I have an unpaid account. I am surprised and asked several questions. One in particular was "when was the account opened?" The account is nearly five years old. Since 1994, I have graduated from college, gotten a car loan, a credit card, and took out a loan at the bank. At those times, I was never told (as the banking institution was checking my credit rating for loan approval) that I had an outstanding credit account.
I told the Coldata representative that I am not contesting the account, but would like to see a detailed report. A week later, I received a letter stating that I had agreed to pay $600.00 to settle. I called Coldata to clarify that I am waiting for a detailed report.
I can't remember ever having this credit card.
This Coldata representative repeatedly asked what I was doing to resolve this issue. I replied that I was waiting for the report. This did not satisy him at all. He then told me that this is about to go into litigation because the account is so old.
What are my rights? Or are they just using scare tatics? I have detailed every call I have made to them and have a fax requesting the account report.
Is it typical for four years to pass until there is notification? I suspect that this is not my account. What steps are taken then ?
mllove5520
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement